Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Why the NFL rules

GO BILLS! While the rest of my post really has nothing to do with my favorite team, the Buffalo Bills, I couldn't write my first post about the NFL without mentioning them up front. Go Buffalo!

Now, on to the true reason for my post. If you haven't heard, the relatively new NFL commisioner, Roger Goodell, suspended Adam "Pacman" Jones for all of nest season and Chris Henry for the first 8 games (article). These suspensions are a reaction to the multiple incidents with the law that these two have had over the past year or two. I have to applaud Goodell for his decision. While I am sure the players will appeal their suspensions, I hope they get nowhere. These two need to learn their lesson and as the article said, realize playing in the NFL is a privilege not a right. The league has helped establish football as the true #1 sport in America, and they don't need that spoiled by a few bad apples. I also like the fact that Goodell isn't just suspending them, but also implementing some requirements (counseling, community service, etc...) for the player's reinstatement to try and help these two sort out their lives. It shows that the league is trying to not only improve their image, but also help its younger players stay out of trouble. Overall, I would say this is a great move.

1 comment:

Robyn said...

did you see that the nfl gave the bills the second hardest schedule in the league, based on winning percentage of teams from last season. the first hardest: the raiders. oh, this makes a lot of sense! :)