Wednesday, April 11, 2007

My Movie Ratings

In previous posts I've used a 5 star movie rating systems based on the ratings systems used by Netflix. If you don't know, the ratings are:

1 Star - Hated It
2 Stars - Didn't Like It
3 Stars - Liked It
4 Stars - Really Liked It
5 Stars - Loved It

In the past, I used 3 stars for a movie I was neutral on. I watched it and didn't dislike it or really like it either. 4 stars was typically used for a movie I truly enjoyed and would want to watch again. This left a hole for those movies I liked, but that I wouldn't necessarily want to rewatch. While not a big deal, I am starting to see a need for this type of rating, and from now on, I will rate these films with 3.5 stars. In the future, I may also use 4.5 stars for movies I really, really enjoyed, but that weren't quite equals with my all time favorites. Netflix will still require a full star ratings, but you, my faithful readers (all 3 of you), will get the bonus of half star ratings.

To start the new ratings system, I would give You, Me and Dupree three and a half stars. I didn't have very high expectations for the movie, and it definitely was better than I thought it would be. There were some funny moments and while predictable to some degree, the plot was also better than expected. In truth, I think Owen Wilson did a good job in his title role, and without him, the movie would probably not have been as good as it turned out.

1 comment:

Kate said...

I like the new rating system! Thanks for the explanation. I really enjoy your movie and music reviews so keep them coming!