Thursday, April 26, 2007

More new cds...

I went a little crazy at Newbury Comics Tuesday and ended up with 3 new cds. I've now listened to them all at least once and figured I would provide my first impressions.

Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare - A follow up to their debut, Whatever People Say I Am, Thats What I'm Not, this cd came out on Tuesday. I enjoyed the first cd, and based on the reviews on the new one, I saw it was going to be pretty similar. So far, that's accurate and I enjoyed the cd. I like the the fun, laid back attitude that the Artic Monkeys portray in their music.

Bright Eyes - Cassadaga - This is Conor Oberst's ("Bright Eyes") single release to follow up the previous double release of Digital Ash In A Digital Urn and I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning in 2005. I think that this cd is a more coherent and constant effort, and I enjoyed the whole thing more than the previous releases. It's very good mellow music and the kind of thing I will definitely put on at work. Also, it is quite possibly the coolest cd case ever. As shown to the right, to the naked eye, the case just looks like grey static (the title and artist come off with the plastic). Inside the package there is a "Spectral Decoder," and when this decoder is passed over the cover, hidden images (like the trees and pyramids) are revealed. I couldn't believe how much was hidden because while you can make out some distortions in the "static" you definitely wouldn't expect so much. Very cool!

Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero - I think Trent Reznor's music is either something you like or don't, and I happen to be a Nine Inch Nails fan. This cd has been well reviewed, and on first listen, it is exactly what I would have expected. I personally really enjoyed The Fragile, and the new cd reminds me a lot of it.

All in all, I'm quite happy with all of the new purchases (even if I did get a little carried away).

No comments: