Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Netflix and Watch Now

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I have a subscription to Netflix, and I really enjoy it. I have the 3 movies unlimited subscription, which means that I can have up to 3 movies at home at any given time and I can rent an unlimited number of movies a month. While 3 movies might seem like a lot, I like to have options (different genres, new vs. old, movie vs. tv) when I want sit down to watch a DVD and this plan allows me to do so. Also, this plan costs 18 dollars a month, but if I went to Blockbuster or Hollywood Video to rent a movie, I could probably only rent 3 or 4 movies in a whole month for the same price. As for delivery, Netflix is quick. If I drop a movie in the mail one morning (i.e. Monday), I will usually have a new movie 2 business days later (i.e. Wednesday).

To add to my love of Netflix, they have a brand new feature that should make things even better. Called Watch Now, the new feature gives you the ability to watch movies on your computer at any given time. You get 1 hour of online watch time per month for every dollar of your bill (so I get 18 hours a month). While there isn't a full range of movies, there were 7 movies on my normal queue (of 97 movies) available to watch online as of this morning. The selections seem to skew towards older films and independents, but this still is a great new feature at no additional cost. Once I try it out, I will let you know how it works.

Overall, I just wanted to take the time to recognize Netflix and the quality service they provide.