I promised I would provide an update on the Buffalo draft today, so here it is:
Round 1 - Pick #12 - Marshaun Lynch (RB, Cal) - This one surprised me a little. As I mentioned on Friday, the Bills needed a RB to replace Willis McGahee and as I suspected, Adrien Peterson was gone already. While I would have rather seen Buffalo try to trade down and get Lynch, I don't know that they could have because Green Bay wanted him at #16. In the end, I like Lynch and apparently Buffalo isn't as worried about their CB status as I am (since they didn't draft one all weekend).
Round 2 - Pick #34 - Paul Posluszny (LB, Penn State) - Buffalo moved up to Detroit's spot in the 2nd round (for their 2nd and one of their 3rd round picks) to get this guy and in my opinion, it was a great move. He fills a big hole in their lineup and there was talk of him being a late 1st round choice.
Round 3 - Pick #92 - Trent Edwards (QB, Stanford) - Projected early in the second, Buffalo got good value with this pick, and he should provide good backup to Buffalo's #1 QB JP Losman. My only concern is that Losman was really showing improvement and playing well at the end of last season, and I hope this doesn't mess with his head.
fit in on a team with Anthony Thomas and Round 4 - Pick #111 - Dwayne Wright (RB, Fresno State) - This one I don't understand. I don't know much about this guy, but I'm not sure how 2 rookie RBs fit in on a team with Anthony Thomas Shaud Williams already there. In my opinion, this draft pick would have been better spent on a receiver or cornerback.
Round 6 - Pick #184 - John Wendling (S, Wyoming) - Here is a defensive back but I thought their need was corner over safety. Maybe this guy can convert?
Round 7 - Pick #222 - Derek Schouman (TE, Boise State) - A late round TE from a creative offensive school seems like a good pick for a team that hasn't had a receiving TE threat in a while.
Round 7 - Pick #239 - CJ Ah You (DE, Oklahoma) - Late round DE that might be able to help shore up a run defense that struggled at times last year. Besides, his got a great name!
Overall, I think Buffalo had an average draft. I'm not blown away by any of the picks but they all seem pretty sound. No big risks were taken, but those can always come back to haunt you. I would give the Bills a draft grade of a B.
Monday, April 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment