Monday, June 18, 2007

Soccer Saturday

I thought I would provide a quick update on the Gold Cup and the US team's standings. Saturday was the quarter final round at Gillette Stadium and the first game had Canada playing Guatemala. Shari, Robyn and I didn't arrive at the stadium until halftime of the game, and we missed a lot of action. Canada was ahead 3 - 0, and that ended up being the final score as well.

On to the US game, they were playing against Panama. The first half was scoreless, but it seemed like the Americans controlled the flow of play. After halftime, things got interesting. The US scored two goals in the first part of the second half and looked poised for an easy victory, but it wasn't that easy. Panama started making some runs and got a goal with about 10 minutes of play left. In the end, the Americans got the victory, but I think they will have to play better to continue winning in the tournament.

The rest of the games will be played in Chicago, and the schedule looks like this:

SEMIFINALS: June 21
United States vs. Canada, 7 p.m.
Mexico vs. Guadeloupe, 10 p.m.

FINAL: June 24

3 comments:

Shari said...

Like the photo! :)

Robyn said...

dan, you are just adding fuel to the fire with that photo! :)

Dan said...

LOL - I did it strictly to see what comments Shari would have!