I just read this really interesting article on Forbes.com about some new proposals that New York City Mayor Bloomberg is trying to get instituted.First, the central point in the article is the idea of creating "congestion pricing" for part of Manhattan. Basically, any car entering Manhattan south of 86th Street would be charged $8 per day. The goal would be to decrease the amount of traffic that jams the streets. While there seems to be some concerns that this fee will only hurt the working class, support is growing in the U.S. and London already uses a similar plan. I personally like the idea because along with congestion reduction, it would force more commuters to use public transportation and reduce pollution. In addition, some of money collected would go back into improving the mass transit.
Along with the congestion proposal, Bloomberg is also working to convert all taxis to hybrid vehicles and replacing city light bulbs with more efficient ones. As the article says, his overall goal would be to reduce carbon emissions in New York by 30 percent by 2030. Good work Mayor!
2 comments:
i read about this idea, and i find it logistically impossible. doesn't he think that putting toll booths in nyc may cause some additional congestion??
I was thinking about that too. I wonder how London does it?
Post a Comment