Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Dreamgirls

I watched Dreamgirls last night with Robyn, Sarah and Shari. I had heard good things about this movie musical, but I wasn't sure how much I would personally enjoy it. I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. The plot centers around and up and coming R&B group and their manager in the 60's and 70's and is loosely based on The Supremes and other similar Motown artists. It was an interesting story conveyed through both dialog and song, and while the music isn't exactly my style, it was all very good. All of the main and supporting actors and actresses were well cast and convincing in their roles, and they did a very good job both in the musical performances and the scenes that required acting. In addition, the sets and costumes did a good job of portraying the era in which the film was set. Overall, I would recommend seeing this movie if you have any interest in musicals. I would give the film 4 stars.

No comments: