Thursday, June 14, 2007

New CD with a mission

Yesterday I went to Newbury Comics and picked up the new cd Instant Karma. Part of the Amnesty International Campaign To Save Darfur, this cd contains covers of solo John Lennon songs by a diverse group of big name artists. Included are groups like Green Day, U2, R.E.M and Aerosmith. While I picked up the cd because of the music (especially Green Day's cover of Working Class Hero), it is also serving as a means for Amnesty International to gather funds for and increase people's awareness of what is happening in the Darfur region of Sudan.

As the back of the cd says:
The conflict in Darfur, Sudan, has led to some of the worst human rights abuses imaginable, including systematic and widespread murder, rape, abduction and displacement. Hundreds of thousands of civilians have been killed by deliberate and indiscriminate attacks and over 2.5 million civilians have been displace.

I'll admit I wasn't fully aware of the situation, but it seems like an extremely worthy cause to buy a cd for. Plus, its got some great music! Along with Green Day, I'm really enjoying Jack Johnson's cover of Imagine and Matisyahu's Watching The Wheels.

No comments: