Thursday, May 24, 2007

Weekend Movie Review #3

I'm delayed in posting this, but the final movie I watched last weekend was Children Of Men starring Clive Owen (as Theo) and Julianne Moore (as Julian). I had heard a lot of good things about this movie so I was excited to see it. The film is set in England in the year 2027. At this time, the world's female population has been sterile for over 18 years, and humans are facing the possibility of extinction. The plot centers around Julian, a rebel who believes there is still hope for the world, who contacts her ex-husband Theo, a police officer who has given up hope, looking for help. She needs him to aid a rebel group who is trying to get a very special immigrant girl to the coast. There, they are supposed to meet up with an independent organization that is trying to save the planet. I don't want to give away too much of the plot, but Owen's character reluctantly helps and the story takes off from there.

This was a very good movie. It focuses on the struggles faced trying to make a connection with the outside world in a country that is falling apart. The characters are well portrayed and you feel their emotion as they struggle to survive in a very scary future. The acting in the film is all very good, and along with the leads, I especially liked Michael Caine's character and performance. These performances are all made even better by the excellent settings and director Alfonso Cuaron's unique portrayal of a future world facing extinction. The settings feel futuristic, yet they are still real enough for the emotion of the film to hit home. I would recommend this movie to anyone, as I thought it was very good. I even watched a number of the bonus features on the DVD. I would give it 4 and a half stars.

2 comments:

Shari said...

What a great review! You made me want to see it...

Kate said...

I'll second that..I think I'll add it to our netflix queue.