Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Weekend Movie Review #1

I watched 3 movies this weekend and its time for some more reviews. I'm going to post them all separately to try to keep the post lengths down, so watch for the rest later today or tomorrow.

First up, School For Scoundrels starring Billy Bob Thorton and Jon Heder. Heder plays Roger, a down on his luck nerd who has resorted to reading self helps books until he is referred to a special class taught by Dr P (Thorton). The class is designed for people who need to be more confident and stresses doing whatever it takes to be noticed and get a girl. Dr P says "You can't help yourself, because your self sucks!" I won't give the story away but everything goes wrong for Roger, and he has to fight back against Dr P to get what he wants. The movie wasn't hilarious, but it was definitely amusing and Thorton played the lying bad guy well. I was definitely rooting for Heder's character to get even and get the girl (played by Real World star turned actress Jacinda Barrett). In addition to the stars, there were a bunch of good comedians in supporting roles (Sarah Silverman, David Cross, Paul Scheer), and they each added some funny moments. Overall, I would give the movie 3 and a half stars for being amusing but not consistently laugh out loud funny.

No comments: