Another season of 24 is over and this one definitely had its ups and downs. I think overall, the final episode was a good one. The action was pretty good (if still a bit implausible) and the main character story lines all wrapped up pretty well. I think it is good that Jack (Keifer Sutherland) is out on his own again, and hopefully, he's heading towards some real excitement for next season.
Even though this episode was decent, I still have a bunch of complaints about the season. First, there were a lot of secondary characters whose stories were left unfinished. What happens to President Wayne Palmer, Sandra Palmer, Walid Al-Rezani, Ex-President Charles Logan, Ex-First Lady Martha Logan? I have a feeling we may never know. Even some of the characters in this episode didn't get well wrapped story lines and again I'm doubtful we will ever see them again.
Moving on, I feel like this season was the toughest to believe. I know you have to suspend reality to enjoy this show, but it was really hard to do so this season. There were so many instances where orders were disobeyed or betrayed without any repercussions. I know things worked out, but I have to think that even if I saved the day I would have to pay for some of the actions taken in the show. Also, the timeline this season was harder than ever to buy. It seemed there were multiple occasions when people got from place to place in one commercial break (2 or 3 minutes). How is everything in LA close enough for this to happen?
Lastly, I felt like this season was a copy and paste of plots from earlier seasons. Every time a double cross or new incident occurred, I found myself saying "Didn't they already do that in a previous season?" How many times can a president be prevented from executing the duties of his office? How many times can the bad guys infiltrate CTU? You get my point.
Overall, it wasn't a bad season, it just wasn't a great season either. I think its time for the creators to get creative with the series. Its time to get out of LA and time for some new plot lines. I would suggest a season that follows Jack (and a small team?) who is sent abroad (China, Russia, Eastern Europe?) to track down some new threat. The CTU office and Washington could play secondary roles (if needed at all), and the action would be front and center. What do you think?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sounds like Alias - I like the idea!
i like the idea, and in fact, i think i read somewhere that they are going to move away from la for some of the episodes, so you may be on to something here. this season was eh but i still love jack and will wait patiently for next season.
Post a Comment