Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Weekend Movie Review #2

The second movie I watched this weekend was American Gun. This independent movie reminded me of Crash, but instead of dealing with race relations in modern America, it deals with guns. There are multiple interweaving stories about gun ownership, violence and the lives of the characters impacted by these issues. The most interesting story lines focused on an inner city school with major gun issues and a suburban school a few years after a Columbine type event. There was a third plotline focusing on a southern university, but I thought this one added very little to the film. My only other complaint was that the movie did not try to wrap up all of the stories. While I understand this is a plot device (especially in a film tackling such big issues), I find it harder to really like a movie when it seems like there are major plot points left unresolved. In the end, it was a well done, interesting movie that looked at the threat of illegal, unlicensed weapons across America and made me think. I would give it 4 stars.

No comments: