Monday, August 20, 2007

Three quick movie reviews


This weekend was full of mediocre movies that Shari and I watched while finishing up our wedding invitations. I figured I would provide a quick recap and review of each in this post and move on.

First up, Friday night was Failure to Launch starring Matthew McConaughey as a 30 something who still lived at home with his parents and Sarah Jessica Parker as a woman hired to date him and convince him to move out. This was a fairly typical romantic comedy movie, and you could guess most of what happened before it actually did. All in all, I've seen better and worse movies in this category and would give this one 3 stars.

Saturday night, we watched TMNT. This was a new CGI version of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles you may remember from cartoons, movies, toys etc... The graphics on this movie were all pretty cool, but this time around, the plot involved a 3000 year old immortal knight and 13 evil creatures from another universe. Maybe I'm too old for this kind of movie, but the plot was ridiculous and made very little sense. I would give the movie 3 stars, and would only see a sequel if the plot focused on a more typical good vs. evil (Turtles vs. Foot Clan) plot.

Last night (Sunday), Shari and I watched This is Spinal Tap. Neither of us had ever seen this classic, fake documentary comedy. Unfortunately, I think both of us expected more from the film. I enjoyed it, but because it is constantly referred to in the media, I was a aware of a lot of the funnier jokes before they occurred. And as I have previously documented, Shari is not a fan of the ad-lib comedy style used in this movie. In the end, I would give this movie 3 and a half stars for overall quality, but I don't know that I would watch it again.

Whew... A lot of middle of the road movies. Hopefully we can make up for it with one or two really good ones soon.

No comments: