Thursday, August 2, 2007

Dear Movie Studios,

Dear Movie Studio people,

Please stop trying to cash in on my youth by making crappy versions of old cartoons and expecting me to go see them. Before The Simpsons Movie last night, I saw a preview for the terrible looking Alvin and the Chipmunks remake that features both live acting and computer animation. Do you think just because I liked the show as a child and had a few Chipmunks toys I'm going to see this piece of trash movie? Well, the answer is a resounding NO!

This isn't the first time you've tried to suck me in with childhood nostalgia. You've made all of the following into crappy live action/CGI movies too: Underdog, Garfield, Garfield: A Tail Of Two Kitties, Scooby Doo, Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed. The list could go on and on. And the scary thing is, Alvin and the Chipmunks isn't the end of it either. A quick search of the internet shows movies in the pipeline for The Jetsons, Hong Kong Pooey and He Man. Why?

I know what you are thinking, "Transformers worked and made tons of money." Well, that is because director Michael Bay and company put a lot of time and effort into making a good action movie. Because of this, people would have paid money to see the fighting robots even if we hadn't had their toys as children.

In the end, please try to create some good movies using your own, brand new ideas. I know sequels and remakes are the popular route to an easy buck in Hollywood, but I promise that if you make a good, original movie, you will make more money than any terrible remake can bring in. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Someone who is sick of having their childhood memories ruined

PS - Will someone please ask Jason Lee to stop participating in these things? I like the guy, but I don't know how much more of this I can take.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Amen brother!!! Sorry just seemed like the right thing to say :-) I totally agree however I do think transformers was the exception. And He Man well maybe they will make it better. I remember watching it and Shera (sp?) as a kid but when I was in high school I came across a tape that my mom must have recorded for me with both cartoons on it and they were horrible. I mean really quite bad. So the remake is probably destined to be dreadful.

Robyn said...

a fantastic letter. now only if you'd really send it! :)

Shari said...

I'm curious to see what would happen if you did actually send it...and I agree with your sentiments!

Dan said...

Who would someone send a message like this too? I would totally send it and see what kind of reactions I got back... How funny would that be!