Friday, August 10, 2007

Pearl Jam and online sensorship

I'm not sure how many people heard about this, but Pearl Jam had a few politically charged lines censored out of an online webcast of their Lollapalooza set. You can read more about it on their website, as well as see the video of both the edited and unedited versions.

If you ask me, its scary that a company would be able to sensor a live broadcast based on political views. While AT&T is declaring it was all a big accident, I'm guessing that whoever was in charge of doing the editing is a Republican... As this article above points out, it makes you think about how objective (or unobjective) the media is. Especially as these companies continue to consolidate and grow larger and larger. Where is the most honest unbiased place to get your news? I think a lot of people would say the Internet, but this whole Pearl Jam issue makes me question that.

It appears that there is already a movement to keep "net neutrality" - the principle that ensures that the Internet remains free and unrestricted. According to Save the Internet, "Net Neutrality prevents the companies that control the wires bringing you the Internet from discriminating against content based on its ownership or source. But that could all change." Another site with information about Net Neutrality is Rock the Net.

It is a really interesting topic, and I hope the Internet can maintain as a free and open space because that is what has made it what it is today. If it was filtered and limited, I doubt we would all be blogging like we are...

No comments: