Friday, July 20, 2007

Harry Potter is almost here!

As I wind down work this Friday afternoon and get ready for a fun and busy weekend, I have Harry Potter on my mind. The final book in the series releases tonight, and I'm trying to decide when I can make it back up to Burlington to get my reserved copy of Harry Potter and The Deathly Hollows from Barnes and Noble. I could make a late trip up here tonight (they are open late to start selling the book at midnight) or tomorrow morning (opening early at 8), but neither seems completely convenient. I just don't want to wait too long because:
a) I'm excited to read it (although I'm sad its the last one)
b) I'm excited to talk about it (with others who have/are reading it)
c) I'm afraid the longer I wait the more chance I have of hearing or seeing a spoiler

Regarding c), I know Robyn has already posted about this here, but I can't believe how spoiler happy the world is. The book is apparently all over the web (I haven't tried looking) and spoilers are spreading quickly. In addition, even basic literary reviews seem to be telling a lot. I started to read the New York Times review, and while they didn't come out and say anything too revealing (at least in the parts I read), they also weren't shy about laying out general plot lines. Maybe I'm too sensitive about this, but I really wanted to see what people thought of the book without knowing what happened. According to this PopCandy post, USA Today's review will also contain some spoilers, so it seems that I'll just have to avoid all Harry related articles until I'm done reading...

No comments: